Location: 637 Water St., Newfield, ME 04056

Mailing Address: 637 Water St., W. Newfield, ME 04095

Telephone: 207-793-4348       Fax: 207-793-2162

Faxing or emailing of property tax cards – fee is $2.00 plus .25 cents per page.

General complaint form



Current registration
Valid – Current Proof of insurance
Current mileage
If you do not have insurance card, the fee is $2.00 for you to have it faxed to us by your insurance company.
Renewals may be processed online – see resource links on home page

NEW VEHICLE REGISTRATION: Purchased from a Maine Licensed Dealer

Bill of sale
Blue Title Application
Valid – Current Proof of insurance
Current Mileage
Brand new vehicles – you must provide the manufacturers suggested retail price sticker (window sticker)
Vehicles 1995 or newer require title certificate
All parties are to be present at time of registration
Remember NO new registrations 15 min. before closing.

NEW VEHICLE REGISTRATION: Purchased through Private Sale

Bill of Sale must reflect a complete description of the vehicle including the Vehicle        Identification Number (VIN), make, model, body type, date of sale, buyer’s and seller’s names, signatures and addresses, purchase price and/or gift and current mileage
Title signed over to the new owner (1995 or newer)
Proof of Insurance

NEW VEHICLE REGISTRATION: Moving to Maine from another State

Current registration from the state you are moving from
Current proof of Insurance and current mileage
Current title – you will need to hand this in and apply for a Maine Title

MARRIAGE LICENSES: Please call to set up an appointment – approximate time to complete is an hour.


          Questions & Answers

How do I obtain copies of birth, death, fatal death, marriage, divorce, and domestic partnership records?
By law, Maine vital records less than 100 years old are considered to be private, In order to inspect these documents, or to obtain copies, an individual must prove that they are permitted by law to do so. Those authorized to view or obtain a copy of a vital record include:

  • The person named on the record,
  • The person’s spouse or registered domestic partner
  • The parent(s) named on that record,
  • Descendants of the person named on the record (including children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren to the most remote degree),
  • The legal custodian, guardian, or authorized representative of the person named on the record, and
  • Genealogists who have a researcher card issued by the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Office of Data Research and Vital Statistics

Effective July 12, 2010, all individuals requesting copies of these records must present positive identification and, if requesting the record of a parent or grandparent and you are not a registered genealogist, proof of direct lineage.

Registered genealogists may only obtain a non-certified copy of a record, unless they can meet the above requirements for obtaining a certified copy. They may only view or obtain a copy of a birth, death, or marriage record.

Records 100 years older, or older, are considered public records and. informational copies can be issued to anyone requesting them.

  • Why do I need to present positive identification when requesting a record? 
    With most requests for records are honest attempts to obtain one’s own personal documentation, some are not, some are attempts to obtain information and document’s needed to assay another person’s identity. These documents can be see to obtain driver’s license, state photo ID, social security card, and passport under the assumed name, opening the door to credit card, bank and tax fraud; mail theft, and social security and insurance fraud. The requirement that you provide positive identification when requesting a copy of a record helps to protect you and your family from this type of crime. 
  • What are acceptable forms of identification?
    Acceptable forms of identification include a driver’s license, passport or other government issued photo identification. 
  • What If I do not have an acceptable photo ID?
    If you do not have acceptable photo identification, you may present two items with your name on it from the following list: a utility bill, a bank statement, a car registration, a copy of an income tax return, a personal check with address, a previously issued vital record or marriage license, a letter from a government agency requesting a vital record (for example, the Maine Department of Health and Human Services), a Department of Corrections identification card, a Social Security card, a DD214, a hospital birth worksheet, a license or rental agreement, a pay stub (W-2), a voter registration card, a Social Security disability award letter, a Medicare or Medicaid insurance card, and school or employee photo 1D. Other forms of identification listing your name, date of birth, and address may also be considered. 
  • How would a person demonstrate direct lineage?
    In order to prove direct lineage when requesting records concerning your parents or grandparents, a copy of your birth certificate will identify your parents. If your parents were married, this document can be used to obtain a copy of your parent’s marriage record, which should identify your grandparents. Other acceptable proof of direct lineage could include a hospital or physician’s record of birth or death, a baptismal record, school enrollment records, military records, court records, a family bible record; a newspaper engagement, marriage or birth announcement, an obituary, a U.S. Census enumeration record, an insurance application, or an affidavit.